Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Thou Wilt Shew Me


                                                  When I read Psalm 16:8-11 quoted below, my thoughts go back to when I was a boy, and the last time I saw my Dad before “he shipped out to Korea.”  At this writing, it has been sixty years since my Dad died and was called into eternity.  (I had expected that he would be the one to show me “my way in life.”) 
            My Aunt, Inez Dittman, (who is the last of her generation) is to be laid to rest later this week.  It is hard for me to “realize” that all those who I had counted on to show me “my way” have now been called into eternity.
            When King David wrote this Psalm, he was not considering his personal family.  He was contemplating on God.  At some point in our lives, we must also reach out to God for our direction.  It is a time when we must defer our family authority to Him.   Our authority must first rest with Him, and then through Him, we can re-establish “our” family authority.
            This will be a hard week for me, preparing and speaking at my Aunt’s Memorial Service, but it will be a time of rejoicing, knowing she is no longer in pain, and she is no longer confused.  (I have never preached a Service for a member of my family, and I must allow God to show me the path He wants me to take with this message.)
            It is always wonderful to preach a Service knowing that the person was saved.  It makes the message so much easier, and allows rejoicing for the loved one who has been called home.  
            Once we are set before God, we are with Him in eternity.  (King David knew he would not reside in hell.)  We can rejoice in our salvation too knowing, (as did King David,) we are secure in our Lord, through the blood of our Lord and Saviour Jesus the Christ.
            All because, at “one time” in our life we “set the LORD always before me…” knowing always “he is at my right hand.  “Have you allowed Him to “shew” you the way?”   “Is He at your right hand, and are you secure in Him?”

Bro. John R. E Chastain

Psalms 16:8-11  I have set the LORD always before me: because he is at my right hand, I shall not be moved.  (9)  Therefore my heart is glad, and my glory rejoiceth: my flesh also shall rest in hope.  (10)  For thou wilt not leave my soul in hell; neither wilt thou suffer thine Holy One to see corruption.  (11)  Thou wilt shew me the path of life: in thy presence is fulness of joy; at thy right hand there are pleasures for evermore.

No comments:

Post a Comment