Tuesday, November 8, 2011

God On The Mountain


11 of 22 from Psalm 119

Psalms 119:81-88  CAPH. My soul fainteth for thy salvation: but I hope in thy word.  (82)  Mine eyes fail for thy word, saying, When wilt thou comfort me?  (83)  For I am become like a bottle in the smoke; yet do I not forget thy statutes.  (84)  How many are the days of thy servant? when wilt thou execute judgment on them that persecute me?  (85)  The proud have digged pits for me, which are not after thy law.  (86)  All thy commandments are faithful: they persecute me wrongfully; help thou me.  (87)  They had almost consumed me upon earth; but I forsook not thy precepts.  (88)  Quicken me after thy lovingkindness; so shall I keep the testimony of thy mouth.

            On occasion, I can find King David while reading this Psalm.  My King James Study Bible did not define the author.  I then searched the web and sought Jewish Theologians to find out who they considered the author to be.  All that I read came to one conclusion, the Psalm was written by King David.  Based on this conclusion, (I will presume that this Psalm was written by King David.) 
            In this writing, we see a period of time that King David was apparently depressed.  I have tried to determine when this was written.  There are several instances in King David’s life that it could have been.  My thought is some time just after Absalom (King David’s son) was killed (while King David was traveling back to his throne.)  King David was failing in health and he was at his weakest point.  Yet, through it all, his faith remained.  He begged God for a reprieve on the grief that was consuming his mind.
            There is a song that is entitled, “God On The Mountain.”  Within its lyrics we are told that the “God on the mountain is the same God down in the valley.”  King David was down in that valley, the valley of doubt.  He was fearful that God had left him as God had left King Saul.  Yet, King David knew within his heart that God would never leave him.
            How many times a year, a month, a week, or a day do we find ourselves wallowing in that valley of doubt, that valley of despair, that valley of self pity?  I can say, at least to this hour, (since I was assured of my eternal salvation,) that I have never concerned myself that God would leave me.  There have been times I was down and thought God was punishing me.  In some of those times I am sure I was receiving His chastisement.  Yet, when I look back and think about those times, I find that I was the one who “put me” in that valley.  
            In my Christian walk I have found that I am the sole source of most, (if not all,) my problems.  I am the one who “steps off” that mountain.  I am the one who responds (or doesn’t respond) to the temptations set before me.    It is Me, Myself, and I.  I am MY main and worst problem (enemy.)
            We allow our minds to consume our thoughts.  Yet, Jesus tells us He will give us “rest.”

Matthew 11:28  Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.

We can look at this “rest” as peace of mind.  Most of us Christians pray and ask God through His Son Jesus to absolve all our problems, and He does.  Yet, instead of letting Him take control, we begin meddling in what we just gave away.  (We then find we are still where we put ourselves, somewhere in that valley.)  How do we as Christians get that rest? 

James 4:10  Humble yourselves in the sight of the Lord, and he shall lift you up.

We must first humble ourselves before the Lord.  We don’t want Him to humble us.   (That is truly not what God wants nor do any of us want.)  This is our personal commitment to draw nearer to Him, but it must be with a true, (sincere) heart. 

Hebrews 10:22  Let us draw near with a true heart in full assurance of faith, having our hearts sprinkled from an evil conscience, and our bodies washed with pure water.

Our heart must desire, (crave) to become nearer (in faith) knowing we are growing nearer to our Saviour.

Job 22:29  When men are cast down, then thou shalt say, There is lifting up; and he shall save the humble person.

Job shows us “the mountain and the valley.”  We also can see the chastisement resulting from Job’s pride.  Yet, through it all Job remained faithful, and became a humble man.  We never want “a Job experience,” but we must realize there is always that possibility.  (God humbled Job.)  God asks us to humble ourselves, remove evil from our lives, pray, and seek Him.

2 Chronicles 7:14  If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

            “Christian, what are you going to do?  Are you going to wait for “that Job experience,” or are you going to get to your knees?”  God is waiting to clear your mind and give you the “rest” or peace you desire, peace of mind.

Bro John R. E Chastain
Retired Pastor
Wylie, Texas       

fundamentalthoughts-preacher.blogspot.com   Fundamental Thoughts

No comments:

Post a Comment