Monday, June 14, 2010

Happy Father’s Day

              When I read the verses below, I just could not come up with a positive spin for our Fathers today.  My older daughter is always giving me a hard time about being nice to Mother’s on Mother’s Day and laying the gavel down on Fathers on Father’s Day.
              So I have been pressured to say something nice.  I believe the reason for the “gaveling judgment” on Fathers is due to the responsibility Fathers have toward God and his family.  As leaders of our households, and as the spiritual leader in the home, we as Fathers and husbands have great responsibilities laid at our feet.
              Not only are we the spiritual leader, we are the protector of our flock.  I know my flock has gotten down to my wife Sharil, and our daughters now have their spiritual leaders and protectors.  Regardless, I know that as a Father I am guilty of stepping over that boundary and advising or usurping our daughter’s authority.  Sometimes we with our age and experience can see without the “Rose Colored Glasses” better than the younger. 
              However, we as men of faith must show all our family what we claim to be.  The problem most of us men have is: we are one man in church, another on the job, and again another at home.  In actuality, we need to be one man, a Godly man, (the churchman?) who leads our family.
              So our question is, “who are we?”  and “What do I need to do?”  I have over my monitor in my study a portion of Acts 9:6 which states “…Lord, what wilt Thou have me to do?...”  As a Pastor, I ask a question of myself very often.  It is probably my life guide verse.  I know some will tell me it must be John 3:16, or Romans 10:9 which are all good verses (that I do use in my messages,) however, in my Spiritual walk I must continually ask God this very question time and time again.  Also as a Father, even though my children are no longer children, I ask for them, “Lord what must I do for them?” 
              We as men must seek God’s will as it is our task as a Christian.  We each must seek God through prayer, Bible study, and worship services.  Then as we take a new look at our verses below we can see we are not working in vain.  We know that our labour will bear fruit, and fruit is reward gain in heaven.  Serving Him is a must, and relying on Him is a must.  “Father what are you going to do?”

Bro. John R. E Chastain  

Psalms 127:1-5  Except the LORD build the house, they labour in vain that build it: except the LORD keep the city, the watchman waketh but in vain.  (2)  It is vain for you to rise up early, to sit up late, to eat the bread of sorrows: for so he giveth his beloved sleep.  (3)  Lo, children are an heritage of the LORD: and the fruit of the womb is his reward.  (4)  As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.  (5)  Happy is the man that hath his quiver full of them: they shall not be ashamed, but they shall speak with the enemies in the gate.

No comments:

Post a Comment