Saturday, October 16, 2010

A Good Name



                       
              In our verses below, God places a “good name” above all our worldly possessions.  Some of us cherish our family name, while others, “it is a name I was stuck with.”  That old Johnny Cash song called, “A Boy Named Sue” comes to my mind.  It is a tale of the strength gained by his given name.  Now I am not suggesting anything like that song.  However, God upon our Salvation has given us a new name.  I know my secular name, and I know God has given me a new name I will go by one day.

(Revelation 2:17 KJB)  He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches; To him that overcometh will I give to eat of the hidden manna, and will give him a white stone, and in the stone a new name written, which no man knoweth saving he that receiveth it.

It may be that my new spiritual name is the same as my secular name.  At this point, I do not know.  I just know I have a new name, and I know that if God gives me a name like “Sue,” it will be a “good name.
              God tells us a “good name” is better than a precious ointment.

(Ecclesiastes 7:1 KJB)  A good name is better than precious ointment; and the day of death than the day of one's birth.

A precious ointment could be a child doing well in his life, a sizable bank account, a sizable precious gem, or a fancy car.  (The “precious ointment” could be anything in your life that means a great deal to you.)  A “good name” will last generations, and do know a “bad name” will last even longer.
              Our identity as a Christian, our name, is what sets us apart.  When we are seen by the secular world, they may ask, “Is he a Christian?”  Or they may make a statement, “He is a Christian.”  Our walk and our talk is what indentify us as a Christian in the world. 
              Therefore, what are they saying about you?  Aare they asking questions and wondering, or are they certain you define Christianity. We are to be the reflection of God, like a lighthouse at the oceans edge, warning of the consequences of refusing God’s Son Jesus. 

(Mark 16:15 KJB)  And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature.
              
               We are the “Go ye” people of this earth.  Our walk and our talk will get us started.  As we witness for God and His Son, our “good name” will develop right before the world.

Bro John R. E Chastain

(Proverbs 22:1-4 KJB)  A good name is rather to be chosen than great riches, and loving favour rather than silver and gold.  2  The rich and poor meet together: the LORD is the maker of them all.3  A prudent manforeseeth the evil, and hideth himself: but the simple pass on, and are punished.4  By humility and the fear of the LORD are riches, and honour, and life.

No comments:

Post a Comment