Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Today’s Prophets



               Reading Jeremiah 14:13-15 quoted below, and looking at the context, we see the “Lord God” telling Jeremiah that the false prophets said, “I will give you assured peace in this place. 
               When we listen to the news and the weather, we hear multiple prognostications [A foreknowing or foretelling of a future event by present signs.] on the condition of the state of our Nation.  All are based on one or more happenings.  These prognosticators call themselves “reporters of the news.”  However, for the most part, they never tell us what has happened without foretelling what [in their opinion] is going to happen tomorrow.
               We also have an over abundance of “religious” prognosticators foretelling the date of the rapture, claiming healing, and all sorts of other claims.  Our “Lord God” tells us they “prophesy lies in my name: I sent them not,” and He continues to say that He “neither spake unto them.
               In our day and time, we find much falsehood sprinkled with the truth.  In our Churches today many claim God’s Truth, The King James Bible, yet they take phrases out of context and misuse them for their personal benefit and gain.  I find on the cover of our Sunday Church Bulletin the quote, “I will give you assured peace in this place.  It is a good phrase, however, it was what the false prophets were stating, and God disavows what was said by them.
               “So where do we all stand on God’s Word?  Do we correctly read our Bible within the context (subject being discussed) or just read a verse here and there and make application anyway we want?”
               I expect the people in our congregation to read along with me, and to check me to make sure I am preaching within the context (subject of the text.)  If not, I have been allowed to twist the subject anyway I want.  Then I have become a false prophet (a preacher reading and preaching the prophecy from the Bible) who chooses the direction of the Gospel.  I would not then be led by The Holy Spirit, but by a heart that has no knowledge of Jesus, His Blood, nor The Holy Spirit.  This would be claiming God with no foundation, (just some unknown language,) a language of Baal worshippers, nothing more.  Without the knowledge of God, they preach their “personal prophecy.”
               So reader, “where do you stand within God’s Word?  Is The Bible something you rely on, or just a book written by men?”  We are taught within the Bible (each and every word) is God’s voice.  We are to read His Word, and hear what God has to say to us.  Romans 10:17  So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.
               If you are hearing God’s Word, both by physical hearing and heart hearing (reading privately) then you will learn the context and will know when a charlatan (prognosticator) attempts to lead you astray.                                           

Bro. John R. E Chastain

Jeremiah 14:13-15  Then said I, Ah, Lord GOD! behold, the prophets say unto them, Ye shall not see the sword, neither shall ye have famine; but I will give you assured peace in this place.   14  Then the LORD said unto me, The prophets prophesy lies in my name: I sent them not, neither have I commanded them, neither spake unto them: they prophesy unto you a false vision and divination, and a thing of nought, and the deceit of their heart. 15  Therefore thus saith the LORD concerning the prophets that prophesy in my name, and I sent them not, yet they say, Sword and famine shall not be in this land; By sword and famine shall those prophets be consumed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment