Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Eternal Life, What Is It?

              In Romans 6:23 quoted below, the word “eternal” seems to be a word that to some, has a variable definition.  Webster’s 1828 Dictionary defines “eternal” as “Without end of existence or duration; everlasting; endless; immortal.  Therefore, I thought I might look for some synonyms, which are “ageless, eternal, everlasting, perpetual, unending, and unceasing.
              So with these definitions, (all from secular sources, yes, I Goggled them) why do so many want to change the words’ definition to a redefined meaning which would mean something less than eternal?
              Jesus tells us:

John 3:16  For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

The secular world also shows that the word Jesus uses, “everlasting,” to be a synonym of the word “eternal.  Jesus also tells us in a later chapter:

John 10:27-29  My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me:  (28)  And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand.  (29)  My Father, which gave them me, is greater than all; and no man is able to pluck them out of my Father's hand.

Now, Jesus uses the word “eternal” with His definition, “they shall never perish.
              It seems odd to me that Jesus defines His own usage time and time again, yet men usurp the knowledge of God.  (They pretend to know better than the Word of God.)
              The authority of the Church comes from the Word of God, (in my heart, The King James Bible,) and is led by Jesus the Christ.  As a Baptist, a Fundamental Baptist, (I believe the Bible,) and an Independent Baptist, and an OSAS (Once Saved, Always Saved) Baptist. (I have no need for the secular definition.)  The Bible defines “eternal” as the world has defined it.  Yet, some men have redefined and stated that you cannot have the Gift of God eternally. (They say even though God has given it eternally, that you can lose it.) 
              So where does your definition of “eternal” come from?  If it comes from The King James Bible, and backed only with the secular definition, you are on the right track.  Otherwise, usurpers, (charlatans, blasphemers, wolves in sheep’s clothing), are leading you.   Look for yourself, actually read your Bible, and pray God will show you “eternal life.”

Romans 6:23  For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.

Bro. John R. E Chastain

No comments:

Post a Comment