Sunday, July 18, 2010

The Hope Of Glory

                As I read the scriptures in Colossians 1:24-27 quoted below, the first thought I had was that the “Glory of God” is Jesus the Christ, God’s only begotten Son.
            Then when I reread (v 27) and saw the word “mystery,” my “thinker” started working.  What is the “mysterywhich is made visible [manifest] to His saints [born again believers] of the “Hope of Glory?”   
              First, our “hope” is our knowing what we are as a Christian.  Knowing that we are born again and that Heaven is our home is our first step in our “Hope of Glory.”  This knowledge relates to knowing, “If you died today, this very moment, you would reside in heaven with God the Father and His only begotten son, Jesus the Christ.”
            So then, our “Hope” is in our faith “which is Christ in you” which is the “mystery” that Paul is talking about.  Paul is revealing something, which (in his time) was an unknown.  The thought that God, through the Holy Spirit, would actually reside within a person was a conceptual mystery.  Through our knowledge of Jesus, (from His Word,) this mystery has been revealed to us.  Now we know we are the temple, and through the Holy Spirit, we are taught.  I like to think of the Holy Spirit as my conscience and allow my conscience to be my guide. 
            Being guided by the Holy Spirit, we are to exhort [comfort, invite, pray with/for] one another.  As children of Christ, we are brethren, brothers, and sisters through the blood of Christ.  We are to love one another as loving siblings, not quarrelsome children. 
            Be a helper and be sure others see the “Christ in you” through your works, not prideful boastful works, but works for the Lord.

Bro John R. E Chastain

Colossians 1:24-27  Who now rejoice in my sufferings for you, and fill up that which is behind of the afflictions of Christ in my flesh for his body's sake, which is the church:  (25)  Whereof I am made a minister, according to the dispensation of God which is given to me for you, to fulfil the word of God;  (26)  Even the mystery which hath been hid from ages and from generations, but now is made manifest to his saints:  (27)  To whom God would make known what is the riches of the glory of this mystery among the Gentiles; which is Christ in you, the hope of glory:

No comments:

Post a Comment