Monday, December 12, 2011

According Unto Thy Mercy


16 of 22 from Psalm 119

Psalm 119:121-128 AIN. I have done judgment and justice: leave me not to mine oppressors.  122  Be surety for thy servant for good: let not the proud oppress me.  123  Mine eyes fail for thy salvation, and for the word of thy righteousness.  124  Deal with thy servant according unto thy mercy, and teach me thy statutes.  125  I am thy servant; give me understanding, that I may know thy testimonies.   126  It is time for thee, LORD, to work: for they have made void thy law.  127  Therefore I love thy commandments above gold; yea, above fine gold.  128  Therefore I esteem all thy precepts concerning all things to be right; and I hate every false way.

            Our Psalmist begins by begging God that he fears failing “to mine oppressors.”  He admits he has failed God and he begs for God’s Mercy.

Romans 3:23  For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;

            Christian, you and I are “in the same boat” as our Psalmist.  We each fear failing:  failing financially; failing morally; failing in our job; and failing God and His Son Jesus.  (I might have carried that rant a bit too far.)  “Do you fear failing God?”  If you already have eternal salvation, (which is also everlasting and forevermore,) “do you feel there is no need to bother?” 
            One problem we have in our understanding “Faith” is the believer’s eternal security.  Eternal salvation is not a lie.  (It is a Biblical truth in our scripture.)  However, once a person accepts Jesus as his personal Saviour, (and then learns he cannot lose his salvation,) he may go on his way, (as before,) with no repentant heart.  “I was baptized, now I am saved.”  (Some even believe that the baptism was the mode of Salvation.)
            (If you have NOT become a “new creature” and your old life style has NOT “passed away,” you may not have what you have been led to believe.)

2 Corinthians_5:17  Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.

A person, who has accepted Jesus with a repentant heart, (with God’s Mercy) will change.  A person changes because of The Holy Spirit’s conviction.  (The “new creature” will want to become new.”)  If you responded to the conviction of The Holy Spirit, salvation is yours to keep.  I have heard some who have stated, “You Baptist, knowing your Salvation is complete, you can do anything you want.”  To this I have answered, “Yes, that is right.  However, my “want to’s” have changed.  I don’t want to do what I used to want to do.”  My salvation is complete in that I am secure eternally, yet I must grow within that salvation.
            King David tells us that all he really wants is to be given “thy mercy.”  Isn’t that what all of us want?

Romans 12:1-2  I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service.  2  And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.

            Paul teaches us that “the mercies of God” are real and present.  To receive God’s Mercy, we must begin by accepting Jesus The Christ as our personal Saviour.  Once we have accepted Jesus, our task is to live a life of sacrifice, by God’s standards, (not the worlds,) being deemed as acceptably Holy.  This is called our “reasonable service.”
            Paul continues to teach us that we must make a decision “in our new walk.”  That decision is we must be “transformed by the renewing of your [our] mind.”  Therefore, with God’s power through The Holy Ghost, (and our decision,) we are changed.
            “Seek God’s mercy.  Call on Jesus’ name.  Beg for the forgiveness you do not deserve.  Repent of your sins.  Do purpose in your heart to be a changed, “transformed” person of God.  What are you waiting for?  Get to it!”

Bro John R. E Chastain
Retired Pastor
Wylie, Texas  

fundamentalthoughts-preacher.blogspot.com   Fundamental Thoughts

No comments:

Post a Comment