Monday, December 5, 2011

Christian, What Are We Doing?



2 Chronicles  7:14  If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

            Last evening, while watching Bill O’Reilly on the “Factor,” he mentioned a new bumper sticker which stated, “Restore The USA.”  To me this is a good thing.  A few days earlier, my wife and I were driving around our new city, and I saw another familiar sign, which stated, “America Needs Prayer.”  It referenced our verse, and this is good.  However, there has been much left out.
            While many have no notion of the spirituality that is required, I expected the world knew it wasn’t JUST prayer.  In general, it appears that Christians have no knowledge of what must be done.  (It must be noted I do believe prayer is what is needed to “Restore The USA” and no doubt “America Needs Prayer.”)
            Our scripture verse indicates that those who “are called by my name” are to “humble themselves” and “seek my face.”  We as Christians are not to be like the Pharisees of the past who offered to pray for coin.  We are to look inward (deep within ourselves) and seek God in repentance.  This only comes by prayer, and in prayer a Christian must seek God through His Son Jesus The Christ.  That portion, (which is our humbling,) must be done with a desire to be humble before God.  Otherwise, we are likely wasting our prayer and our time.  We need to seek Him with a heart that desires Him.  The Choice is ours.
                             
Hebrews 10:22  Let us draw near with a true heart in full assurance of faith, having our hearts sprinkled from an evil conscience, and our bodies washed with pure water.

Our desire must be with a “true heart,” a heart that is sincere and free of any contrary thoughts, or evilness.  Our scripture continues by telling us: in addition to humbling ourselves and seeking God, we are to “turn from their [OUR] wicked ways.”  “Hey, Bro Chastain, I am a Christian, and my ways are not wicked.”  I for one am not your Judge, however, our scripture tells us:

Romans 3:23  For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;

I do believe the word “all” does include everyone.  Consequently then, “all” of us are sinners and we “all” entertain wickedness in some form or fashion.
            So now we know that in order for the United States of America to be restored, American Christians must change first, and get back to God.  In order for this to happen, a lot of people, and a lot of Churches must get themselves back to their first love.

Revelation 2:4  Nevertheless I have somewhat against thee, because thou hast left thy first love.

This is where we stand as a Nation, as a Church, and as a Christian.  (We are looking more to the world and less to God and His Son Jesus.)  “Christian, fall to your knees in repentance.  Church, turn away from the worldly music, the worldly bibles, turn to The Saviour, and then and only then will God “…heal their [Our] land.”  Start today, not tomorrow, today to “Restore The USA.”  Just do it.”

Bro John R. E Chastain
Retired Pastor
Wylie, Texas

fundamentalthoughts-preacher.blogspot.com   Fundamental Thoughts

No comments:

Post a Comment