Thursday, December 1, 2011

The Lamp of God, Our Holy Bible


14 of 22 from Psalm 119

Psalms 119:105-112  NUN. Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.  (106)  I have sworn, and I will perform it, that I will keep thy righteous judgments.  (107)  I am afflicted very much: quicken me, O LORD, according unto thy word.  (108)  Accept, I beseech thee, the freewill offerings of my mouth, O LORD, and teach me thy judgments.  (109)  My soul is continually in my hand: yet do I not forget thy law.  (110)  The wicked have laid a snare for me: yet I erred not from thy precepts.  (111)  Thy testimonies have I taken as an heritage for ever: for they are the rejoicing of my heart.  (112)  I have inclined mine heart to perform thy statutes alway, even unto the end.

            Psalm 119:105 has only been a guiding force for me in recent years.  (I had never heard this verse before my Salvation.  I had NEVER read The Bible.)  God has given us this verse so we can obtain the light required to walk in this wicked and sorely evil world.
            Our Psalmist testifies to the snares (temptations) that were constantly laid before him.  If we are cognizant of our environment, we must also be aware of anything that is laid before us that will keep us from our walk with the Lord.  (The world is working to extinguish our light.  The world wants us so busy we do not have time to read God’s Word, and consequently dimming The Light of God.)
            Does our Psalmist give us a solution?  He shows us by his “freewill offerings of my mouth,” (His prayers are how he learns God’s Judgment.)  His prayers are not forced, memorized, nor read.  They are from his heart and freely spoken to our Lord.  He begs God to “Accept, I beseech thee” with freewill prayers.  (Now we have a concept of what God also wants from us.) 
            Historically, it is presumed that King David penned these words and he is our Psalmist.  King David was a man “after mine own heart,” and even as a sinner, we should be quoted as being “after mine own heart.”

Acts 13:22  And when he had removed him, he raised up unto them David to be their king; to whom also he gave testimony, and said, I have found David the son of Jesse, a man after mine own heart, which shall fulfil all my will.

1 Samuel 13:14  …the LORD hath sought him a man after his own heart...

Psalms 89:20  I have found David my servant; with my holy oil have I anointed him:

            Reader, the question now is, “Are you after God’s heart?  Can you say I have “erred not from thy precepts,” God’s laws, God’s commands?”  (To the best of my ability, I cannot.  I have walked a very narrow road, but that road hasn’t been narrow enough.)  God will provide the protection, but it is our job to define that road.  It is our task to follow God’s Commands.  He isn’t standing beside the road to correct us.  He has given us The Holy Spirit to guide us.  We must listen to Him, and be willing to follow His guide.

Romans 3:23  For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;

To a Christian, this verse should be very familiar.  Our problem is that we use it as our excuse, our crutch, and we fail to repent and have God’s Word as “a lamp unto my feet.” 
            As you ponder this devotion, consider where you stand within God’s Will.  Ask yourself, Am I using “Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path?”
            “Christian, this is the day and the time.  Repent of your walk, and narrow your path.  Seek God through His Son Jesus The Christ.  Ask for His forgiveness and His help to narrow your way.” 
            As the shoe company states, “Just Do It.”

Bro John R. E Chastain
Retired Pastor
Wylie, Texas       

fundamentalthoughts-preacher.blogspot.com   Fundamental Thoughts

No comments:

Post a Comment