Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Did You Leave The Light On?

                As I read the scriptures in Isaiah 66:1-2 quoted below, we see God asking a couple of questions: “Where is My house and My resting place?” 
              When you and I have guests who have traveled a great distance to see us, the first thing after the initial greeting is to show them a place where they may rest for a bit.  It is a normal thing we do, and our guests appreciate.
              Therefore, what is it God is asking of us?  When we have accepted Jesus as our Saviour, we have been regenerated into a new creature.

2 Corinthians 5:17  Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.

As a new creature, we are now the Temple of God.

1 Corinthians 6:19  What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own?

God has given us the Holy Spirit, and since God is the Trinity, God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit, we are His house and place of rest.  As a Christian, can we say with surety that God has found that “house and resting place” that He is seeking?
              Our walk as a Christian is very hard, bouncing between the sin of the world and God’s Word.  We face sin daily, yet we do not rely on God to help us from our sinful ways.  We rely on ourselves and fail miserably.

Romans 3:23  For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;

It isn’t as if we want to fail, it is the temptations around us that cause us to fail.  The problem is always with us.  We could reject the temptations.  It is our choice. 
              Do we want a house in which God can abide and rest, or are we so within our pride that God’s situation doesn’t concern us.  Is it always me, myself, and I?
              God tells us in Romans 10:17 So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.  Consequently, in order to achieve this “house and place of rest,” we must be under God’s Word.  We must concern ourselves with God more than we concern ourselves with me, myself, and I.  So what are you doing?  Did you leave the light on for Him?

Bro. John R. E Chastain

Isaiah 66:1-2  Thus saith the LORD, The heaven is my throne, and the earth is my footstool: where is the house that ye build unto me? and where is the place of my rest?  (2)  For all those things hath mine hand made, and all those things have been, saith the LORD: but to this man will I look, even to him that is poor and of a contrite spirit, and trembleth at my word.

No comments:

Post a Comment