Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Who Will?

When I read Isaiah 6:6-8 quoted below, I am reminded of:

(Acts 9:6)  And he trembling and astonished said, Lord, what wilt thou have me to do?  And the Lord said unto him, Arise, and go into the city, and it shall be told thee what thou must do.

              I think of Paul lifting himself up, probably with help, in absolute wonderment of what just happened.  I have that portion of this scripture, which asks the question, “what wilt thou have me to do?” on the wall above my computer monitor.  I need to ask myself that question many times a day.  
              However, in our text below, “The Lord” is asking “Whom shall I send? He is asking who will go and warn the others, warn them of their impending doom.  Who will tell them what they must do?  
              God is looking for willing hearts.  He is looking for men, women, and children who will accept Him in their heart personally.  

(1 Chronicles 28:9)  And thou, Solomon my son, know thou the God of thy father, and serve him with a perfect heart and with a willing mind: for the LORD searcheth all hearts, and understandeth all the imaginations of the thoughts: if thou seek him, he will be found of thee; but if thou forsake him, he will cast thee off for ever.

              God searches ALL hearts and He knows the imaginations of your mind. He knows your sincerity. He wants someone, anyone who through conviction and desire of the heart, wants to serve Him in the capacity in which you are called.

(Joel 2:13)  And rend your heart, and not your garments, and turn unto the LORD your God: for he is gracious and merciful, slow to anger, and of great kindness, and repenteth him of the evil.

              Notice in this verse where Joel puts the responsibility.  It is square on our shoulders.  It is not God’s responsibility to change us.  It is our responsibility to desire to be reshaped into His image.  Once we have rendered our heart, repented, and accepted Jesus, God will change us.  He will use each of us in a capacity related to our abilities.  The question is, “Who shall I send? The answer should be “Here am I; send me.
              Paul asked a similar question while on the road to Damascus.  We will not see Jesus as Paul did, but we, you and I, need to first tell God, “Here am I; send me.  Then ask, “what wilt thou have me to do?  
              Have you asked?  I guess the best question would be, would you ask God the serious questions, or will it be for some more blessing for nought?

Bro. John R. E Chastain

Isaiah 6:6-8  Then flew one of the seraphims unto me, having a live coal in his hand, which he had taken with the tongs from off the altar:  (7)  And he laid it upon my mouth, and said, Lo, this hath touched thy lips; and thine iniquity is taken away, and thy sin purged.  (8)  Also I heard the voice of the Lord, saying, Whom shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, Here am I; send me.

No comments:

Post a Comment