Monday, October 31, 2011

God’s Mercy


8 of 22 from Psalm 119

Psalms 119:57-64  CHETH. Thou art my portion, O LORD: I have said that I would keep thy words.  (58)  I intreated thy favour with my whole heart: be merciful unto me according to thy word.  (59)  I thought on my ways, and turned my feet unto thy testimonies.  (60)  I made haste, and delayed not to keep thy commandments.  (61)  The bands of the wicked have robbed me: but I have not forgotten thy law.  (62)  At midnight I will rise to give thanks unto thee because of thy righteous judgments.  (63)  I am a companion of all them that fear thee, and of them that keep thy precepts.  (64)  The earth, O LORD, is full of thy mercy: teach me thy statutes.

            God’s Mercy is likely His most “taken for granted” attribute.  We assume that because we are Christians that God’s Mercy will be forth coming and abundant regardless of the condition of our heart.     
            Our Psalmist reflected:  “I have said that I would keep thy words.”  He continues that he “intreated [begged] thy favour with my whole heart.”  Later, (in reflection) he realized where he had been, his past indiscretions and said, “I thought on my ways, and turned my feet unto thy testimonies.”
            We as Christians must repent and “get ourselves right” with the Lord Jesus.  We as a group have changed our thinking from God’s Way to the world’s way.  “Within the Christian family,” our morals have slidden so far that we allow our sons to dress as illiterate thugs, and our daughters to dress like the whores of Hollywood.  (Not only dress like them, “expect” they will become the whores they emulate.  They “shack up” with every man or “woman” that comes into their lives.  Chastity of the Bride or the Groom is no longer expected. )
            If we as Christians expect God’s Mercies, we as Christians must tighten “the belt on our thoughts.” (Reflect Biblically as to where we have been, and where we are now.)  Then with “a heart” that knows the Needs of God’s Mercies, we must get on our knees and repent.  (Repentance isn’t simply asking forgiveness.  It is mindfully changing our ways.)  We must look in another direction, maybe a direction we have never taken before. 
            If we love Jesus, and we love those Mercies of God, then why do we not follow His commands?

John 14:15  If ye love me, keep my commandments.

“Where do you stand Christian in terms of Jesus and His commandments?  Is it time for you to repent?”

Romans 12:1-2  I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service.  (2)  And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.

            As we look upon our life, we must at some point “in our Christian walk,” determine the “will of God” and find out what is our “reasonable service.”  We can wait for God to tell us, (He will not, if we are not in His will.)  We must strive to perfect our walk and our talk and do the right thing.  We must get ourselves right.  Then we must work to get our spouse to follow Christ, and then our children.  We can only accomplish this with a humble heart, a heart that has repented of the past, and Glories in the Future Mercies of God.  Strive today for God’s Mercy, not tomorrow, but today.

Bro John R. E Chastain
Retired Pastor
Wylie, Texas

fundamentalthoughts-preacher.blogspot.com   Fundamental Thoughts

No comments:

Post a Comment