Monday, January 30, 2012

I Chose God


22 of 22 from Psalm 119

Psalms 119:169-176  TAU. Let my cry come near before thee, O LORD: give me understanding according to thy word.  (170)  Let my supplication come before thee: deliver me according to thy word.  (171)  My lips shall utter praise, when thou hast taught me thy statutes.  (172)  My tongue shall speak of thy word: for all thy commandments are righteousness.  (173)  Let thine hand help me; for I have chosen thy precepts.  (174)  I have longed for thy salvation, O LORD; and thy law is my delight.  (175)  Let my soul live, and it shall praise thee; and let thy judgments help me.  (176)  I have gone astray like a lost sheep; seek thy servant; for I do not forget thy commandments.

            As we study the last segment in Psalm 119, the phrase that comes to my mind is, “I have chosen thy precepts.”  King David had “chosen” God’s law (precepts,) a statement of Faith by choosing God.   King David, as a secular man, was a failure.  However, spiritually he was God’s Man.
            You and I, as we walk in this life, may find that “within the world” we are failures.  The “world” knows about our spiritual life, but has no knowledge about “our relationship with God.”
            In Sunday School, we recently sang a song entitled, “This Little Light of Mine.”  One verse suggests we might hide “our light” under a bushel, another that the wind might blow it out, and another that the devil “might” attempt to blow it out.
            As Christians, we are a peculiar people.  We are to let “This Little Light of Mine” shine for “all” the world to see.  We may be the only Bible non-Christians will ever read. 
            So what version of the Bible are you portraying?  Are you, “It Has Been A Long Time Since I Read It,” “Actually I Have Only Read Parts,” or “I Have Never Read It, But When I Go To Church I Listen Real Good.”  “What kind of light are you portraying?  If you have not read your Bible, and if you are not attending Church, how do you KNOW you are a Christian?”
            As a peculiar people our “light” must be God’s Light, His Truth, His Righteousness, and above all, His Holiness. 
            King David, in all his failures, chose God.  The “world” saw his failures, but they also saw that he was a Man of God.  King David’s “This Little Light of Mine” might have flickered a time or two; but when he realized his failure, he always fell to his knees in repentance.  He realized that to get closer to God:

James 4:8  Draw nigh to God, and he will draw nigh to you. Cleanse your hands, ye sinners; and purify your hearts, ye double minded.

Repentance is a means of “purify [ing]” and “Cleanse [ing]” our hearts and our hands.  King David couldn’t wash himself clean.   It all had to be done “with the heart,” in repentance, with a sincere heart before God.

Hebrews 10:22  Let us draw near with a true heart in full assurance of faith, having our hearts sprinkled from an evil conscience, and our bodies washed with pure water.

              “Christian, is your light faltering?  Are you running out of fuel?  Is your “Little Light” as bright as it should be?  Have you “Chosen God?”
            “Reader, today is the day to accept Jesus and light your “Little Light” for Jesus.”  Do it today.  Choose God.”

Bro John R. E Chastain
Retired Pastor
Wylie, Texas    

No comments:

Post a Comment