Friday, January 27, 2012

The Seven Deadly Sins



Proverbs 6:16-19  These six things doth the LORD hate: yea, seven are an abomination unto him:  (17)  A proud look, a lying tongue, and hands that shed innocent blood,  (18)  An heart that deviseth wicked imaginations, feet that be swift in running to mischief,  (19)  A false witness that speaketh lies, and he that soweth discord among brethren.

            King Solomon wasn’t pampering his listeners.  He was laying out God’s concerns for His people.  In my days of Pastoring (and since then) I have seen too much of these abominations within our Churches. 
            To a large percentage of Church people (and the secular world,) these seven abominations are no longer God’s concern.  (All we have to do is “forgive” others, spread the “love” of Jesus, and all these abominations will vanish.)
            As a youth growing up in the world, I was taught to be proud and do things that would have made my Father proud of me.  (My Father died when I was very young.)  I lived with that well into my adult life. 
            At some point, I finally realized I should concern myself with my Mother.  She was the one who worked with me.  She was the one who prodded me into being something other than a High School drop-out.   
            As a child, all of these “Seven Deadly Sins” were taught against with two exceptions.  The first was the “proud look.”  I don’t believe this sin was ever addressed.  I remember we were instructed to be proud.  (I am not including the “pride” of the accomplishments of our children, but the “pride” of “Me, Myself, and I.)
            I stop and consider all the resumes I have written, and applying “a lying tongue” to those documents.  (When I was asked to write a resume for my last Pastorate, it was very difficult to NOT slip back into the “old mold” and “embellish” the facts more than I should.)  (That last resume was an honest and truthful document.)
            The second of the “Seven Deadly Sins” was “wicked imaginations.” (As a child, I was never taught to imagine wicked things, yet I was taught that I should always broaden my imagination.) 
            If we looked at our “imaginations” as God does, “how ashamed would we be?”  What does our “imaginations” tell God (and “the world?”)  Most “imaginations” are private.  However, I know some broadcast their attempts at casting dispersions on God.
            Living in the world, and as Christians, we must examine our hearts.  All seven sins listed above have the same value.  (God hates them all. One is no greater than the other.)  Consequently, if we are guilty of one, (it doesn’t matter which one,) we are guilty and will be punished for that sin.  Our walk and our talk as a Christian must not include any of these sins.
            “Reader, what is our task that has been set before us?  If you have never accepted Jesus The Christ as your Personal Saviour, begin here.  Call on His name and He will receive you.”

Acts 2:21  And it shall come to pass, that whosoever shall call on the name of the Lord shall be saved.

Joel 2:32  And it shall come to pass, that whosoever shall call on the name of the LORD shall be delivered: ...

“It is your decision.  Once you have called on His name, beg for forgiveness and seek God’s help in opening your heart to those sins you have committed.  Then repent (change) and walk away from your sins.”
            “Christian, you must go before God in prayer.  Ask for forgiveness, and repent of your sins.”  (Repenting may be a daily task.)
            Change, Repent, and Walk with God.

Hebrews 10:22  Let us draw near with a true heart in full assurance of faith, having our hearts sprinkled from an evil conscience, and our bodies washed with pure water.

The decision is YOURS.

Bro John R. E Chastain
Retired Pastor
Wylie, Texas    

No comments:

Post a Comment