Monday, January 9, 2012

Our Trust In God



Psalms 23:2  He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters.

            King David depicts for us a serene, idyllic scenery, (a pastoral view that many of us living within a city cannot comprehend.  We might even decide this wonderful view does not even exist.)  If we could take the opportunity and go to the country for a few hours (in an attempt to find this serenity,) our fears (not locking the door behind us, and being left “in the open” at the whims of marauding bandits) might be overwhelming.   
            When I began preaching, we lived on a small acreage, with many trees, (some of which were “clumps” of mature Dogwood Trees.)  Almost daily, I walked up a hill to one particular clump of Dogwoods to read my Bible and pray.  (On occasion, I even laid down on the ground and napped under that clump of trees.)  When I left the house, our dog, Mei Zen, and our two cats, Bert and Ernie always followed me.  When they had “secured the area,” I sat down.  (I knew there weren’t any copperheads or other critters to cause me problems.)  I relied on my animals to protect me, yet, I believe I was relying on God to protect me in that pasture.  (I was allowing God to use the animals for my protection.  My cats kept the small critters at bay, and my dog (a Shar Pei) definitely hindered the larger ones.)
            However, the scene David gives us is “a painting of his heart.”  It is his love of God, and his trust in God that he reveals his heart to us in this verse.  If we trusted God as David trusted Him, how much greener could our pastures, our valleys, and those mountaintops be?  We can gain that trust, and The Love of God by delving into God’s Word, and by kneeling and submitting ourselves in prayer to Him.

Romans 10:17  So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.

            All that we are, and all that we can be is by allowing God to lead us by those “still waters.”  Those waters reflect serenity, but they can be “deep waters” with treacherous sub-surface currents (sin.)  Sin pulls us away from the serenity that God gives us.
            Jesus, our Lord and Saviour guides us beside those “still waters.”   He never takes us into those currents that will pull us away.  He protects us through The Holy Spirit.
            “Reader, have you accepted Jesus as your personal Lord and Saviour?  He is The Only Way.  There is no other Way to secure a heavenly abode.  There is only one Way to God, and that is through Jesus via The Holy Spirit.

John 14:6  Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

Jesus tells us through Paul that if we will believe that God has raised Him (Jesus) from the grave, and if we will tell others (confess) what we believe, God will save us.

Romans 10:9  That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.

Believe and know Heaven is your home.

Bro John R. E Chastain
Retired Pastor
Wylie, Texas   

fundamentalthoughts-preacher.blogspot.com   Fundamental Thoughts

No comments:

Post a Comment