Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Call Her Blessed

              Reading Proverbs 31:28-31 quoted below, we see the value of our Mothers, our wives.  As a husband, I am certain my appreciation for my wife and her endeavors is not what it ought to be.  I imagine if we could ask our children and grandchildren, we would likely find Mother’s are appreciated more as we age, than were in our youth.
            I know I have appreciated my Mother more since I married. After having children, it dawned on me how much my Mother had directed and guided me (mostly against my will).  She was “always” asking me, “What would your Father have said?”  I was in my forties when I finally grasped the notion that it was my Mother, and not my Father (he died in Korea at an early age,) that gave me my grounding, my foundation.
            As I reflect on my wife and consider her “Motherhood” and how she directed our daughters, (raising them without the LORD,) it was “Momma” who kept them on track, it was “Momma” who gave them advice.  “Dad” was always gone on this job or that job, but their “Momma” was always there.
            A Mothers work, (with her children,) is never done.  The constant concern over her children’s welfare, their health, and their wealth never ends.
            It is hard for me, as a husband, to write about Mothers without talking about my wife.  Our verses tell us to call our wives “blessed” and to praise them for the fruit of their hands.
            I know some who have not had a Mother to raise them, (but they have had a surrogate Mother,) who filled in and did the best she could.  She should be as honored and praised as any Mother.
            Stop and consider what your Mother has done for you.  Then, ask yourself, “What have I done for my Mother?” 
            I cannot talk to my Mother anymore, but I do have a place for her in my heart.  Honor your Mother.  She deserves your honor.                                                                         

Bro John R. E Chastain

Proverbs 31:28-31  Her children arise up, and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praiseth her.  (29)  Many daughters have done virtuously, but thou excellest them all.  (30)  Favour is deceitful, and beauty is vain: but a woman that feareth the LORD, she shall be praised.  (31)  Give her of the fruit of her hands; and let her own works praise her in the gates.


Bulletin Devotion for May 09, 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment