Monday, May 3, 2010

The Mothers Of My Life

              As I write this article, my mind has considered the “Mothers Of My Life.” My Mother was not a Godly woman as I was growing up.  Her philosophy was, “Do as I say, not as I do.”  Despite her guidance, I did more of the latter than the former. 
              However, I had only been married a few months, and I suddenly realized that she had wisdom I had never seen before.  Not until my Mother was in her late 60’s did she conquer her life, finally with her Salvation and later her Baptism. 
              The second Mother was my Mother-in-law.  Neither Sharil nor I knew of anyone else who prayed for us during the days we so desperately needed prayer.  It was only a few weeks after she died that I quit drinking.  About five years later both Sharil and I got saved.  I believe these were answered prayers.
              Both of these Mothers had a lasting effect on my life.  However, the greatest influence they had was on my wife, the third Mother of my little story.  I, in nearly 48 years have watched Sharil mature.  I watched her seek God, and watched her “attempt” to influence me with God.  I watched her mature, and struggle to become a Pastor’s wife.  (I watched her grow in the Lord.)
              These three Mothers were direction in my life; they had more influence on me than any other did.
              Some of this influence came after the fact. I appreciate both my Mother and Mother-in-Law much more today than when they were living.  That is something I am sorry about that I never got it right with them before God called them home.  (I will one day see them again, and I pray I will be able to let them know the love I have for them both.)
              Today, my wife, and the Mother of our children, has my direct influence.  She pushes my thoughts; she tells me when my direction is drifting.  She is my wife, my counsel, my friend.  Outside of Christ Jesus, she is all there is.
              Then I think of the Mothers of this congregation, (consider their impact on the men in their lives,) how they have affected their sons and daughters, and how they have affected their children because of their Mother’s influence on their lives.       
              Men, today is that day.  Before it is eternally too late, talk to the Mothers in YOUR life, and thank them for their direction and their influence.

Bro. John R. E  Chastain 

Proverbs 31:26-30  She openeth her mouth with wisdom; and in her tongue is the law of kindness.  (27)  She looketh well to the ways of her household, and eateth not the bread of idleness.  (28)  Her children arise up, and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praiseth her.  (29)  Many daughters have done virtuously, but thou excellest them all.  (30)  Favour is deceitful, and beauty is vain: but a woman that feareth the LORD, she shall be praised.

1 comment:

  1. Very sweet! It's true, moms have a lot of influence. I try to remember this when my kids are pushing me away as they become young women and get their own identities. I pray I will only be a good influence on them, and God will help me to correct any bad influences I have on them.

    ReplyDelete