Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Precious In The Sight Of The LORD

      Today, this day before Memorial Day, as we recognize our Military Men and Women who have given their lives for their nation, I again am reminded of my Father, 1st Lieutenant R E Chastain.   My Father, was not a Medal of Honour recipient.  Yet, his record shows seventeen Air Medals and seven Distinguished Flying Crosses.  So he ranks above many.
      As his son, I would never want to tarnish my Father’s name, and  I will not.  He died so my sister and I could live in a free nation.  He was career Army.  He did not intend to leave the Army.  These men need recognition, and we as a nation, regardless of our convictions on war.  The Men and Women who have lost lives in those wars have allowed us the freedom to have personal convictions regarding war.
      As a Pastor, I am torn between being a Patriot for my country and being a Servant for God.  I know I am allowed to be both, however, my being a servant for God MUST come first.  There are days when my Patriotism seems to over-ride all I can think about.  Folks do understand that is wrong.  God should be prevalent in our hearts by the hour, regardless of what we want to do.
      As we celebrate and memorialize our fallen Men and Women, we must understand they each died for one nation, our nation, yet Jesus died for all nations, and man-kind. 
      On Easter Resurrection Day, we come and celebrate Jesus’ resurrection, yet that is why we come to church every Sunday, to celebrate His death and resurrection.
      While you are turning those ribs over, or when you are placing that wreath on a loved ones grave stop and thank Jesus our Lord for dying for you, and especially the fact He arose and will come again for you someday.

Bro John R. E Chastain

Psalms 116:12-19  What shall I render unto the LORD for all his benefits toward me?  (13)  I will take the cup of salvation, and call upon the name of the LORD.  (14)  I will pay my vows unto the LORD now in the presence of all his people.  (15)  Precious in the sight of the LORD is the death of his saints.  (16)  O LORD, truly I am thy servant; I am thy servant, and the son of thine handmaid: thou hast loosed my bonds.  (17)  I will offer to thee the sacrifice of thanksgiving, and will call upon the name of the LORD.  (18)  I will pay my vows unto the LORD now in the presence of all his people,  (19)  In the courts of the LORD'S house, in the midst of thee, O Jerusalem. Praise ye the LORD.

No comments:

Post a Comment