Wednesday, September 29, 2010

“And Again…”

(Hebrews 2:10-13)  For it became him, for whom are all things, and by whom are all things, in bringing many sons unto glory, to make the captain of their salvation perfect through sufferings.  11  For both he that sanctifieth and they who are sanctified are all of one: for which cause he is not ashamed to call them brethren,  12  Saying, I will declare thy name unto my brethren, in the midst of the church will I sing praise unto thee. 13  And again, I will put my trust in him. And again, Behold I and the children which God hath given me.  

              In Hebrews 2:10-13 above, we find a Christian renewing his vows before God.  He declares, “I will declare thy name unto my brethren, in the midst of the church I sing praise unto thee.  And again, I will put my trust in him.
              Where do we stand in regard to our volunteering our trust in God?  We all stand and sing when directed; otherwise, we just sit.  Is there no honour from our heart for God’s Word, and the song declaring His Word?  How anxious are we to have allowed the message to touch our hearts to the point of bringing us down to the altar?  (Begging God to accept us back, begging God to forgive us of our sins.)
              Our scripture speaks of “And again…” which should define every person reading this devotional.  Who among us is without sin?  Who among us has remained sin free this week?  Who among us is not in need of “And again…” and “And again…
              I listen to national preachers who wail at the failure of the “Man in the Pulpit” to preach against sin and preach repentance.  I believe this failure comes because of the faint hearts in the pews.  The Pastor is afraid of losing those who give (not always from their heart), of their tithe.  We seem to be afraid of the “numbers game.” As the congregation dwindles, because sin and repentance is preached, apparently the offerings dwindle.  Numbers again, yet we have seen in our verses “And again, I will put my trust in him.” Where is the trust, where is the faith?   
              Ah, trust and faith is still a matter of obeying.  We will declare Jesus Christ here in Church.  Actually, except in the preaching and teaching, His name is rarely mentioned.  We discuss the crops, the rain, a car accident, football games, or something going on down at the Ritz Theater.  When is Jesus heard?  
              We as Christians need to listen to ourselves, our conversation, our life, what are we showing to the world, our family, and our brethren?  In many of our situations, seldom are the discussions about Jesus.
              We (you and I) need to get our thoughts and our lives back on track and get our faith renewed, put our trust back in the Lord “…again…
              This is the day.  This is the hour for you to drop to your knees and do it.

Bro John R. E Chastain

No comments:

Post a Comment