Thursday, September 9, 2010

It Is Good For Me

            Read our scripture below, and you might be reminded as I was of the song, “Oh Where Could I Go.”  When I stop and consider the valleys and the mountains we as a church family have been witnessing, I also think of the song Bro. Lonnie Needham sings, “The God of The Mountain.”
            Our verse tells us “…it is good for me to draw nearer to God.” As a Christian, we are facing a day when God will call us home.  We will certainly be nearer God.  However, as we see in our text we need to put our “…trust in the Lord God...” now.  
            That is the problem we all have I’ll get to know Him and trust Him when I get there.  Have any of you entered a marriage without at the very least having been introduced?  If you are saved and know without a doubt if you died today that heaven would be your home, then you have been introduced to Jesus.  But have you become acquainted with Him?   You see the problem is we have an arranged marriage in heaven, and we need to get to know our partner, Jesus, before we get there.
            I know when Sharil and I were engaged to be married; it was a time of acquaintance, a time of learning each others thoughts and ideas. When we did get married, it was another time of more intimate knowledge of ourselves, and over these 48 plus years, we have been growing in knowledge of each other.
            Our weekly Church Assembly is a time for each of us to come together, worship our Lord and Saviour, get to know Him (draw nearer), and get better acquainted with what He expects from us.  It is a time of Bible Study, and a time of devotion to our Saviour.  It is a means of strengthening our hearts, and allowing us to protect ourselves from the wiles of Satan.

(Hebrews 10:22)  Let us draw near with a true heart in full assurance of faith, having our hearts sprinkled from an evil conscience, and our bodies washed with pure water.

Have a true heart, a sincere heart, and do draw nearer to Him in full assurance of faith, knowing you will never perish, but we have the everlasting peace and eternity of God.

Bro. John R. E Chastain

(Psalms 73:25-28 KJB)  Whom have I in heaven but thee? and there isnone upon earth that I desire beside thee.  26  My flesh and my heart faileth: but God is the strength of my heart, and my portion for ever. 27  For, lo, they that are far from thee shall perish: thou hast destroyed all them that go a whoring from thee.  28  But it is good for me to draw near to God: I have put my trust in the Lord GOD, that I may declare all thy works.

No comments:

Post a Comment