Wednesday, September 22, 2010

The God of Hope

            As I read our scripture below, the phrase “The God of Hope” is a name for God.  It helps me realize what He has really given me.   He has given me Hope, Hope of souls saved, and Hope that knowing one day God will call me home to that “Home of Hope” that is waiting for me.  That Hope is the joy and peace of understanding my Christ died on that “Old Rugged Cross” just for me, not for me alone, but for all those who will call on His name in belief.

(John 3:16)  For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

            God gave “…His only begotten Son…” because He loves us.  He wanted us to have that hope and know that through the gift of His Son’s blood on that cross, that we know He is the “God of Hope.”  He is The Living God, the God who embraces us with The Holy Ghost, a gift given when we call on Jesus’ name in sincere belief.  We do not receive the Holy Ghost (Spirit) for any other reason.  The Holy Spirit was given to us to be the “Comforter” when Jesus ascended into the Heavens.  It is the source of our Hope, our Joy, and our Peace.  It is through the Holy Spirit we are taught. He teaches, we learn.
            So many times I have heard, “When I came into this church (or another church) I felt the presence of the Holy Spirit.”  It isn’t that the church building has the Holy Spirit, it is the “Church” which contains the Holy Spirit. (The people are the church.)  It is our Hope, our Joy and our Peace which is given to us through the Holy Spirit (Ghost).
            Do I feel the Holy Spirit?  Yes at times, yet salvation is given by faith and faith is belief with knowledge.  If you don’t have the knowledge, your faith is likely weak.  It may be because of weak church attendance, or because of seldom reading or not reading your Authorized Bible.  If you want to feel the Holy Spirit, get involved with God’s work, (not earning your salvation,) but working the salvation you have.  Read your Bible, attend a church which preaches the Bible, teaches the Bible, and one that is concerned for your soul.  Attend a church that is concerned that your soul might be headed straight for Hell, and through Bible teaching will get you off that road, and get you on a secure protected Highway to Heaven.

Bro. John R. E Chastain

(Romans 15:13-14)  Now the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, that ye may abound in hope, through the power of the Holy Ghost.  14  And I myself also am persuaded of you, my brethren, that ye also are full of goodness, filled with all knowledge, able also to admonish one another.

No comments:

Post a Comment